Friday, March 20, 2009

Boo

Recently, my group has moved to a new set of digs in the hospital. We now have a small kitchen/bathroom area that we share during the day with the chaplains, a small call room with a bed, and an office where all our paperwork and computers are situated. I have a few gripes about the whole thing, but the main one is the fact that ALL of our computers are highly visible through the multiple glass windows facing the hallway, and for some reason there are random people that roam up on this otherwise empty floor all night long. Sometimes they tap on the glass to ask where someplace is, and sometimes they just stand there watching you inside. It creeps me out, especially when I'm alone up here at night.

So, I've found a couple of spots where I can sit where no one can see me in that particular zone. Problem is, there's not really room for a chair, so I often sit indian-style on the floor while I read or write. Weird? I don't think so. I do this at home a lot, too.

While in my corner tonight, I heard our door beep open and one of the cleaning guys came in to sweep and tidy up. When he came back to the spot where I was, I thought he was going to jump out of his skin -- he gasped, clutched his chest, and stumbled back a few steps. Apparently, his first impression was that I must obviously be injured or otherwise ill to be crouching in a corner in a semi-darkened room (to be fair, I do the semi-darkness thing at home too. What, you don't?). It took me a few seconds to calm him down, and then he left in a hurry. I guess he gets creeped out easily late at night, too.

Well, back to call.

No comments: