Thursday, January 24, 2008

Where everybody knows my name

I have a bar. Well, it's not mine, but it's a place where I feel like a VIP every time I walk in the door. That day is usually Monday, karaoke night. I speak, of course, of the Tipp. It's a lovely little pub in the Irish style, and it's my place.

Our waitress Christie (probably spelled incorrectly) knows that I'm going to start the night with a glass of Harp, and it's highly likely that I will be having the fried mushrooms as well. There's a different soup almost every time we go, and she knows that I like to sample it, and will occasionally opt for a full bowl.

Darren (also likely misspelled) is the bartender from Wales, and he has a lovely singing voice. He will usually sing at least a couple of times while we're there. Markham is our karaoke DJ from South Africa, and if I don't pick something fast enough he'll sign me up anyway and pull up my history. Yes, he has a history of the songs I've sung before. I told you this is my place.

Patty and Joe are a lovely couple who have a daughter my age. They're from Connecticut, and they're adorable when they sing together. Days that I show up by myself, you can bet they'll invite me to sit with them. Days that I get sloshed, they'll always make sure someone else is driving me home.

Larry and Dave are 2 other familiar faces that you can usually count on for a few songs. There are others who come less frequently, like the girl who sings that 4 Non Blondes song, and the girl who always sings the song from Chicago (the musical, not the group). Lately, a guy we like to call Johnny Cash has been popping in, and he always gets the crowd going.

When it's my turn, no matter what I do up there, I know at the end people will clap and cheer. It's a place of good vibes and great karaoke supporters. It's a place with a great songlist and no smoking allowed in the main part of the pub. It's a place with a dart board and a pool table.

It's also a place where I like to gather with the people I love and care about, where my friends can gather for a round of beer and bitching when necessary, or beer and laughing preferably. Come and meet me there sometime, maybe it can be your place too.

No comments: