Sunday, January 4, 2009

Spaghetti and shrimp dumplings

Often, I'm filled with wonder at the beauty of the world, and I wish I could find a way to pour my heart out in my writing. I wish that I could write something truly thought provoking, that sheds a light into the deepest recesses of my consciousness.

Instead, I'm going to talk about spaghetti.

Growing up, we didn't often have normal spaghetti. We had Chilean spaghetti (which is pressure cooked cuts of steak with carrots, black fungus, and bay leaves over spaghetti), spaghetti with garbanzos and parmesan, and spaghetti in a delicious homemade pesto sauce mixed with fresh farmers cheese to accompany apanado (beaten cuts of thin cut steak which is then breaded and fried). I liked normal spaghetti, it just didn't start appearing at our house until I was well into my teens.

At restaurants, I never understood people who used spoons to eat spaghetti. Seriously? Isn't that what the plate is for, to provide a stable winding surface? The use of knives to chop up spaghetti also baffled me, as it seemed to remove one of the best parts of having spaghetti - an interactive dining experience (I'm not sure if that gets my point across very well - eating, after all, involves you interacting with your food no matter how you do it - but I digress).

1 comment:

Go Go Gadget Balls said...

I think you've hit on a very important culinary philosophy as it refers to gustation. Not only is a dish important in fulfilling its primary funtion(to hold food) or as framework for "plating" the meal so as to give it a more palatable(platable ha ha) appearance but as a method to enable the mode of ingestation. In this case a stable platform easing the transition from plate to fork to mouth.
As Archimedes said "Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough and I will move the world".