Friday, June 22, 2007

Enthusiastic and entertaining

Exuberant, exhilarating, exciting, ecstatic, ebullient, eager... that's a lot of positive "E" words. Interesting.

Moving on, everyone loves candy. Maybe you don't eat as much as you used to. Maybe you're a liar and claim you don't really dig sweets. Whatever, it's a fact that within all of us is a kid on Halloween with a full sack of candy, ready to gorge until we're sick, or the kid on Easter Sunday who just ate a box of Peeps, a couple of chocolate rabbits, and a sack of pastel M&Ms. We just learn to tame him/her a bit as we grow up. Or not.

I love sugar. Plain, in coffee, in baked goods, in packaged products, in soda, etc. I'm going to be a sad girl when my pancreas expires and I finally develop diabetes. It's hard to say what my favorites are, honestly, although Reese's Pieces are definitely high on the list. However, I remember when I was little, and Lik-M-Aid was my poison of choice when I wanted pure, unadulterated sugary pleasure, Pixy Stix be damned.

This delightful substance is likely known to you, my reader. A packet of a colored powdery substance with some flavoring tossed in, accompanied by what appeared to be a piece of chalk. Thrown together, it was the childhood equivalent of cocaine and a rolled up $100 bill. Not from personal experience, mind you, but we've all seen the movies. That stuff was good. All three packets would disappear in a matter of minutes, leaving me in a tremulous, maniacal sugar high. My youngest brother was another addict, and we would come to blows if my parents were foolish enough to make us share. How does one share 3 packets with 2 people? Ridiculous. Granted, my brother would win easily, unless I started crying, in which case he'd get smacked and it would be mine. No, I didn't fight fair, but who cares? It was mine.

In recent years, I've noticed it's harder to find this stuff. It still exists, but it's not as pervasive as I recall. That's probably good, seeing what it could reduce me to when I was younger. However, I have found a supplier online, and the temptation is growing everyday...

Random Link: Pathology Rocks! Maybe I should reconsider my specialty...

2 comments:

Jesse said...

If you are ever in the market for them, you can still get candy cigarettes at many gas stations in Kentucky.

Code name: 1% said...

ooh yeah, i like how when you puff out a little bit of powdered sugar "smoke" comes out.

also, the pathologist link: brilliant. i read his whole page.