Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lovely day

February is a big birthday month in our family. Back before our family started to grow as my brothers grew up and got married, half of us were February folk. Myself, brother Mel, and our dad. 8, 22, and 23. I don't remember ever having a party for Dad outside of singing Happy Birthday and maybe having him pick what he wanted for dinner, but he's never been the kind of guy to make a big deal over anything that was about himself. Now, Mel and I always got some kind of party growing up. Despite the fact that we were dispersed on opposing ends of the month, usually it would be one big bash for both of us. I don't know how he felt about it, but I always liked it that way. We'd get to do the roller rink, or have a big pool party at home. Plus, considering that we (mostly) shared all of our toys and books, it was neat to see what each other got in anticipation of heavy negotiations on terms of use.

Sunday I spent the night at my parent's house where we watched the Oscars, fielded birthday calls from my brothers and uncles (one of which is named Oscar, of course), and ate barbecue that I picked up in honor of the day. We sang happy birthday to Mel a day early when he called, as otherwise he has a bad habit of not picking up the phone. I've already told him he is not allowed to make any lame jokes in 2 years since he didn't let me pick on him at all when he turned 30 last year.

Eating dinner together while listening to salsa music. Mom pulling out some treats she's been hoarding for over a week. Singing Happy Birthday long distance. Staying up watching movies, eating leftovers, and drinking coffee until 2 AM. Sleeping in curled up with my mom. Getting a good back scratch. Drinking coffee with evaporated milk (instead of cream) with a breakfast that includes barbecue, beef and veggie soup, and bread pudding while reading a book. Dancing in the kitchen. Getting fussed at because my coat is old, I haven't been to the dentist or optometrist yet, and I haven't been sleeping enough. Being waved at as long as my car is still in sight. These are just some manifestations of love that I know and love dearly myself.

No comments: