Saturday, February 14, 2009

My netbook and me

For years, I've idled through the laptop section of any major electronics store. For years, I've been able to remind myself that, really, I would never use a laptop as a portable device, so it was much wiser to spend about half the cash on a desktop with twice the power and upgradable even with my general wariness of hacking around with the innards of an expensive device loaded with years worth of information. Yet, somehow, after years of laptop chastity, I have now thrown myself into a torrid relationship with a behemoth of a machine that now resides on my kitchen table. And if that's not bad enough, a couple of days ago I walked into a store with the intent of getting a phone number to a restaurant and walked away with a midget.

I refer, in case you're wondering, to the Acer Aspire One. It's tiny. It has both wifi and 3G connectivity. It has Microsoft Office preinstalled, albeit a trial version that will require another payment of blood. It's everything I didn't need but have secretly craved to fill my need to Google any time or place. Yes, a smart phone would be more compact, I know. But come on, I carry around a big-ass messenger bag everywhere I go. Might as well have a real keyboard and a screen I can read, right? Yeah. I pretended to get lost on my way to my brother's house in Houston yesterday - "Darn, I guess I should check Google maps and make sure that this is, in fact, the right Spring Cypress Road... yup, it certainly is." I played sudoku and pulled up sheet music while at my niece and nephew's piano lesson and entertained whoever's turn it wasn't. Ah, connectivity.

I'm a happy girl. This has been an excellent first week of being 28, starting with the kicking fondue party hosted by my friends on the actual day, having the week off, reading, eating grapefruit and Reese's Pieces, getting to visit one of my brother's home, and overall being in a good mood. Thank you, guys, for everything. After all, the bulk of the people who read this also happen to be the ones who brighten my days just by being my friends. I hope this year is a great one for all of us and that I can be a part of making it lean heavier to the good.

And yes, this was running through my head when I titled this post.

No comments: