Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Oreos, ice cream, and a date with destiny

Every so often, I forget who I am. Not in a senile demented way, no, but in the navel gazing, "Who am I?" kind of way. To be fair, I'm kind of flighty. Most of the time, my thought processes don't go very deep, more like, "There are serious problems that need to be addressed and... hey, is that a painted bunting?! Quick, I need binoculars!" Food distracts me, too. This makes it hard for me to be really introspective most of the time, although not impossible. So, I decided that I was going to come up with one really, indisputably true statement about myself today. I spent a lot of time thinking. And I found a truth that no one who knows me can deny.

I really like milkshakes.

I didn't say it was going to be earth shattering, did I? Seriously, I have some other defining traits that I don't think anyone can argue with, but I figure I'll start with this.

Milkshakes are wonderful, like a cold, sweet time warp to a time when my brother Mel and I would pull out vanilla ice cream, Hershey's chocolate syrup, spill milk everywhere (those gallon things are heavy) and combine it all in our blender. An absolute delight.

In more recent years, I have tried different flavors, combinations, and even added alcohol to certain concoctions. Currently, my favorite blend is from a place called Twisted Root here in Dallas. They make their ice cream fresh everyday, and they make a killer cookies and cream shake... drooling just thinking about it, truthfully.

So, reader, if you want to drag me out somewhere, a milkshake is effective bait. Karaoke works really well, too. That's another true statement about me: I really like singing, be it at a karaoke bar, in the shower, at work, while driving, etc. Soon, I'll be a bit more serious, just can't seem to manage anything of the sort at the moment.

No comments: