Thursday, October 4, 2007

Chicago: The Experience Day 2

Friday
-------

One of many things that I am grateful for is my innate hangover resistance index (HRI). While I have a low threshold to alcohol (3 beers in an hour is enough to make me worthless), I will persist in my drinking long after, only to awaken in 6 hours perky and happy. My HRI has failed me but... twice? Chicago was not one of those times. I awoke refreshed and ready to take on the town. Ian was kind enough to pick up a toothbrush from a nearby 7-11, since I managed to leave mine in Dallas

After gussying ourselves up, the three of us took to the streets for some shopping and food. Yes, most definitely we needed food. Food in the form of some pretty kick ass cornbread and rotisserie chicken sandwiches. What was the name of the place? I forget.

Clothes shopping at H&M came next. Now, while I think I'm a fairly well rounded individual generally (kind of), I have a major failing, an Achilles heel, so to say. I have no fashion sense at all. My main clothing criteria is that it not expose anything I don't want exposed and that it be comfy. This includes lots of things, from some perfectly acceptable jeans and shirts to monstrous sweatshirts (men's XXL) that I bought because it fit both above criteria and it was blue fleece. Bright blue fleece. It matched my car. Really. I love that thing. It doubles as a tarp in times of need.

Needless to say, I can't shop very effectively. But I have the good fortune of having friends who are not afraid to say "No. Absolutely not." One friend in particular. You know who you are. Any really nice things I own (that fit) are probably because of her excellent eye. As it was, I was not destined to find anything at H&M, but I made up for it on Saturday.

Hrmmm... I think that afterward we went back to the hotel to nap. We watched Gracie, which was fun. Also, I had 2 separate conversations with JB on two separate phones, and both times was mistaken for somebody else. The long and short of it being, the remaining members of the Chicago posse made their way down from Wisconsin, and we rolled as only truly awesome people can.

My sense of direction is excellent. Really. As long as I have the sun, stars, or a compass I can usually find my way around. Of course, no one believed me after my directions got us lost and wandering the streets of Chicago for a while. On the bright side, the architecture is quite lovely. On the questionable side, we found a tequila bar. I'm pretty sure we had dinner somewhere before... Ah, that's right, at the Rock Bottom Brewery, good beer. I fell on the stairs twice there, and that was before the tequila shots. I blame my shoes, which also caused some massive blisters. At any rate, another alcohol induced black out followed not long afterwards.

No comments: