Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Chicago: The Experience

I'd mentioned before that September was a memorable month. Chicago... wow. That was freaking fantastic!

Thursday
-------

My flight in from DFW was interesting. I am somewhat, how do you say, loquacious? Verbose? Yeah... I have trouble shutting the trap at times. Usually on flights, though, I can focus on a puzzle or a book and leave my seat mates in peace. However, I was seated next to an older gentleman named Ray. A brief, polite introduction took place, our general places in the world established, and then I asked if he was familiar with Chicago. Ah, fateful question. He grew up there. He lived there for a long time, and now lived a few short hours away in a small Wisconsin town. He had much to say. I had much to answer. Our conversation was overheard by people sitting over 5 rows away. There's a good chance some people were not pleased.

Now, frugality occasionally strikes me in peculiar ways. For instance, rather than paying for a map (they were all too big, anyway...) I printed out maps of the areas where I anticipated the majority of our time would be spent and labeled out important locales. My new friend Ray added a bunch of items, most of which we were unable to partake in. These maps were helpful throughout the remainder of our Chicago excursions. At least, I think they were.

Anyway, after grabbing our bags, we hopped over to the subway to cart us over to downtown, which was, oh, a bit less than hour what with all the stops along the way. This was a new experience for me. When subjected to new experiences, I tend to act stupidly giddy, much like a sugared up toddler or young border collie. Again, probably not very endearing to anyone in the near vicinity. I tried to focus on sudoku; it helped a bit.

Once in downtown Chicago (and really, throughout the entire subway ride) I consulted my maps to make sure we were heading in the right direction. The hotel was not 3 blocks away. Oops. We arrived at the Amalfi to find Ian reclining upon one of the lobby seats. We promptly scoped out our room, and then walked over to Gino's East for some genuine Chicago deep dish to celebrate Ian's birthday.

Wow. That stuff was really good. The restaurant itself was pretty spiff, although there was a brief moment walking up that Amy and I looked at each other as it seemed that the place was closed. Thank heaven, no. Graffiti everywhere, and surprisingly spacious. There was a distressing lack of Bud Light, but Blue Moon was brought out in pitchers with the welcome addition of oranges (didn't even have to ask, God bless this town). We feasted like kings.

Afterwards... well, we went to a bar. We met some friendly types named Joe and... Tom? Something. Tequila was provided. My memory began to fail around this time. There was dancing afoot, and I was out on the floor. And suddenly, I was shirtless. In a bar. In Chicago. There are pictures out there. Damn. What would you do, or say? "Can I have my shirt back?" Scream? Make a scene? Please. I rocked out there. I danced, I shimmied. And eventually got my shirt back.

The three of us eventually made it back, and I had my head hanging out of the cab, in a manner reminiscent of a dog. Hey, it was a beautiful night, there was a nice breeze, and the moon was hanging like a lantern over Lake Michigan! Why shouldn't I enjoy it? Yeah!

Back in the hotel, well, I was under the influence. I sang off key, loudly. I giggled like a maniac. And I eventually fell asleep. Thus concluded the first day.

No comments: