Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Bird Whistler

While spending the day outside yesterday, I also took the opportunity to do some bird watching in between opportunities to use THE CLAW.

I love this time of year. All our native songbirds are nesting, everyone's singing to either show off or tell off, and the trees aren't fully leafed out yet making spotting them slightly easier than later in the summer.

At one point, I heard a little guy way up in the canopy singing an unfamiliar tune. I have no idea what he was, but he was tiny, so I'm guessing... a warbler? A kinglet? His posture seemed wrong for a wren, but I am still in the dark. In a lame effort to induce him to come closer, I began attempts to imitate his song.

You know, it wasn't the best thing ever, but it wasn't bad, either. I can do a pretty good cardinal, I was once able to fool my ornithology teacher with my screech owl, and I can hack my way through some of the more basic songs. Alicia started cracking up because it sounded like the bird and I were having a conversation at one point. Perhaps we were, but who knows what I was saying. The identity of that bird will likely continue to torment me for weeks.

No comments: