Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Small things

A few weeks ago, the art of knitting was taught to me by my mother. She's more of a crochet person herself, but my oldest niece expressed interest in learning some type of handicraft and somehow it ended up being knitting.

Mom has tried to teach me before, but somehow it just never took. Lack of interest? Most likely. I seem to recall that prior lessons always were attempted when I was trying to read something, and that's never a good time to attempt to communicate with me. This time, though, it was not only interesting of itself but also afforded quality bonding time with multiple generations of Peralta women that did not involve me playing Final Fantasy.

So the very basics were learned. Starting, doing some stuff for the middle, and binding off. However, it wasn't until last night that I made my first useful knit object. Well, I suppose my appendix shaped bookmark can kind of count, too, but this is the first thing that had some planning involved.

Behold, a dish towel. Or a wash rag. It could even be a napkin! Let your imagination run wild. The important thing being that it was fun to make, and it's nice to have a tangible reward for a few hours of quiet work with the radio playing (Coldplay, mostly).
For my next project? Not entirely sure yet. I might content myself with making a couple more of these, or perhaps making a blanket. There's babies out there with naked feet, so maybe some booties. The sky is the limit! If you have any requests, I will definitely listen, although I won't guarantee a result.

No comments: