Thursday, May 7, 2009

Boys

There are so many things I fail to understand in life that sometimes it's better to just shake my head, shrug my shoulders, and move on to something that doesn't give me a headache. Sometimes those kind of moments make me smile, others make me sad, and some just really piss me off.

Of course, some topics trigger all of the above responses at some time or another. Can you guess one?

Personally, I don't have a lot to complain about, I suppose. I'm usually pretty happy being single, after all, and have learned the truth behind something my mom has said for years: It's better to be alone than to have bad company. (Wise words, Mom, although I like how they sound in Spanish much better.) Relationships I have had with boys run the gamut of excellent friendships that have stood up to the past decade or so of neglect to, of course, that whole dating thing.

Dating. A word I managed to have nothing significant to do with up through my mid 20s, it now keeps popping up. Often fun, frequently a source of annoyance, it's been interesting. Beyond my own experiences, I've had the advantage of a circle of friends that have contributed their own stories, not to mention getting to see things firsthand. And you know? I don't understand. I just don't understand how things end up the way they do.

Growing up, I got to see my brothers' side of the whole dating thing. Granted, I was way too young to fully appreciate most of what went on with the older 2, but I have some recollections from way back when that have lingered. And you know, my brothers aren't perfect, but I do recall that they were honest and didn't screw around with people's feelings. Overall, they are good guys. Granted, their influence on me is at least part of the reason I'm such a screwball, but I digress. They are good guys. They are loyal guys who love their families. They are guys who work hard and believe in honesty. So, they can't be alone out there. Where are the other guys like them?

No comments: