Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Conversations in the AM

There are a lot of superstitions that abound in my family. Some are pretty common, some are unique as far as I know. This morning my mother called me to tell me about a nightmare she had. Why? Because if you keep them to yourself, they gain strength to do harm, and for best evil dispelling effect it should be done before noon of the day you wake up. This is especially true when the nightmare has to do with people you know and events that could actually occur. Mom's nightmares are not to be taken lightly, I've found. One, where she dreamt I choked to death on a hot dog, resulted in the removal of the culprit from the household for over a year. Last night's dream was about me, too, but no hot dogs in sight this time.

After that, we just talked for a good while. About family. About food. But we spent a lot of time talking about her friends.

Mom is a gregarious lady by nature. She talks a lot, and is hard to stop once she starts on a topic. She has a wonderful laugh. And yet, she has very few friends here in the USA. Part of it is due to a sad history of friends my parents have had here. As it is, she has friendly conversations and relationships with some of our neighbors, and with some restaurant and shop owners. But the friends she has have been such for most of her life.

LiLi and Dina are sisters who have known Mom since she was a girl. They were her chaperones on dates, her confidantes, her allies in mischief. Dina lives in Peru, and is the eldest. LiLi lives in the states with her husband. Mom... she remembers so much. Details of their lives, gifts they gave, their families, their frustrations. They call her for advice, and vice versa. They laugh on the phone together, and they cry sometimes too. Mostly, they laugh.

Their are other friends she has, mostly in Peru. She hasn't seen a lot of them in years, but I know if she ever goes to visit, she will sit in their homes and laugh with them over the way life turns out. They will remember together, and bask in those memories, and revel in the friendship of today. I think about that, and it makes me smile.

3 comments:

house63 said...

Ok what was the dream about????
prying minds want to know ;-)

-G^2 said...

From what I gathered from her, it was really scary because it was like she was having a normal sort of day - cooking, doing some laundry, etc. - when suddenly the phone rings. She picks it up, and hears me say (in Spanish), "Mom, I'm dying, I'm dying..." and then nothing. She tries to reach me, and no answer.

Who knows what happened to me, maybe my dream self was in one of the outlandish kind of nightmares I tend to have that involve carnivorous creatures, zombies, or the like trying to kill us all.

Apparently, it freaked her out so much that she shot out of bed at 5 AM and tried to convince my dad they needed to go to Dallas, RIGHT NOW! Kudos to Dad for calming her down and sparing me a freaky early morning phone call.

house63 said...

driving in the snow would have been bad too.
let alone 5 am is only couple hours after you rock-stars went to bed. ;-)