Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Staying power

Over the past weekend, a fair amount of time was devoted to sitting with a glass of beer surrounded by people wearing green. After all, not even being sick was going to stand in my way of celebrating St. Paddy's Day for the first time since I added alcohol to my life.

On Saturday, Amy, Alicia and myself took up residence at the Old Monk on their covered patio area around 1 pm and didn't leave until 11 pm. During that time, people came and went, payed their respects, and some brought some cigars. To be fair, I had a brief exit while I drove one of our number home so he could get some sleep, but I returned shortly. Their was much tipping back of pints. There was eating of cheese fries. I should have known I was sick when I could barely finish half my burger after only getting through half my breakfast (in the company of little artist and JuJuBe at Norma's, a fine way to start the day). Or to be honest, I should have known I was sick when Amy said the day before, "Gigi, you're sick."

Sunday morning was spent in a haze of illness, followed by a scrumptious brunch at Hattie's and planning for an upcoming trip to Cancun. Well, originally the plan was Puerto Vallarta. And before that, Cozumel. We finally agreed on anywhere with a good beach and drinks included. Drinking is very important on a beach.

Monday rolled around, and again we found ourselves at the Monk. This was less of a marathon sit-in than Saturday, as we only stayed from 4-11, but we did get to enjoy a couple of live bands and even more people wearing green.

No comments: