Thursday, March 6, 2008

Out of touch with the world

I had a good day today. I sat on a couch, read, watched movies, and got to make some chili and eat it with friends. Perfect, really.

So it wasn't until night had fallen that I heard of some of the news of the day. Damn it, what is with people? A brief discussion ensued, and I termed the guy who did this a kook after the part of the 10 page political manifesto was mentioned.

Kook. Is he? Apparently this guy is against America being in Iraq according to hazy reports from sources who had some contact with the documents that were mailed out to several Capitol Hill offices.

You know what? There are a lot of people over there without a clear idea of when they will be able to come home. Or people who have done their service but then get pulled back in for more. There are a lot of people here who just want their friends and family to be out of harm's way, and feel even more frustrated when there isn't a clear end in sight. So if you want this war to be over, I'm with you.

But this guy... I'd like to know what exactly that document said. Because if he's upset about the loss of life that has been happening, setting off a bomb that could have killed or maimed someone on your home soil seems like a pretty stupid way to protest. What do you gain from such an action? Notoriety? Recruiting to your cause other people who think terror is a decent way of making a statement to your own government and countrymen? Despicable.

2 comments:

amy said...

Geege, this is exactly what I was trying to communicate to you earlier.

Calling him a "kook" by your provided definition is oh so very dangerous. To, for one second, consider him alone in his feelings or ideas would be to grant too little weight to his actions.

Let me be completely clear: I DO NOT CONDONE THIS ASSHOLE'S ACTIONS. I think that you probably DO have to be a little unbalanced to see this as an appropriate way to protest.

But, labeling him as a "kook" almost lets him off the hook in a way. This wasn't a random act of violence. This was a statement. A statement that was based on feelings shared by a lot of people in our country.

I think he was absolutely wrong to do what he did. But you better believe that not everybody is going to see it that way.

So. You and Layton get off my back, would ya? :)

-G^2 said...

Didn't mean to get hasty with you when you disagreed with the use of the word, especially because the more I thought about it, the more I agree with you.

Because even by the definition I linked to, he's not. There are a scary number of people out there who probably cheered when they heard about this. And while it would indeed be nice if he was just the odd man out, the violent kook in our midst, and hence the only one who might do this, he's not.